Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I’m looking at some of the notes I’ve made over the past few days. So apologies if the first couple of points are a bit stale already.

 

  1. JK doesn’t want the Pacific Forum time to be entirely taken up with ‘The Fiji Business’. Does this mean he doesn’t think Fiji is an issue anymore? Would he rather we all just pretend that it never happened and it’s all a box of fluffies? Ok then, we’ll just file it in the ‘Old News’ and ‘Just too Hard’ baskets. Done. Dealt with.

 

  1. And he’s not quite the media savvy PM yet – using ‘Yip’ in response to a question is not classy. A bit blasé. And someone needs to get him a shorter tie. It looks a bit silly when he’s sitting down. At least at the Pacific Forum he got lei’d.

 

Right, now for something a little more current.

There is a dashing young man sitting just along from me at the café in the library, tapping away on his laptop. There was eye contact, a bit of glad eye followed. Ah, that was nice.

I’ve been a tad overwhelmed in the past couple of days by the amount of political news all over the place. I’m going to have to teach myself how to pick the best bits.

Judith Collins ranting about Boy Racers. Yes, something needs to be done, for sure. But crushing cars? Isn’t that kind of wasteful? What about confiscating, selling, taking out fines and then donating to charity? (which is something the PM is clearly into) Or putting the money into funding public transport of resources for low decile schools? My favourite, though is my own – what about creating a similar sort of restriction on age or license type that applies to motorbikes. So if a person is on their restricted, or under the age of, say, 18, it would be illegal for them to buy or drive a car that is two litre, or turbo, or has a V6 or higher. Obviously not all boy racers are under 18, but that would restrict a large number of them to little farty rice burners.

I’m still grumpy about the cast issue. Apparently it’s up to 13grand or something silly. I feel that it’s cheapening politics. JK is trying hard to be hip and modern and I just don’t buy it. JK needs some more media coaching - he’s coming across as very flustered in his press conferences, and it makes me uncomfortable

What makes me even more uncomfortable is THE HAIR. Omg it’s like a car crash. The other night on one of the post-7pm shows his hair was all pushed forward in a lame attempt to disguise his receding hair line. Yuck. I’m sure it’s to keep him looking young and virile (more yuck) but I think for all our sakes he should just embrace the inevitable and cut it all short.

Then there’s the minimum wage issue. After years of harping on about the increasing wage gap between us and Australia, here is the perfect opportunity to rectify what National saw as so hideously wrong. Out our minimum wage up to the equivalent of Australia’s. There’s very idealistic of me, yes? I know all the arguments behind it – small businesses having the pressure put on profits etc etc. Sorry. I do care about them too.

Need to dash off to a meeting…and look at the library guy again. Nice retro blue and brown shirt, brown dress pants, mussed dirty blonde hair…and jandals. Love it. And the way he’s staring intensely at the laptop screen…I wonder if he looks at women with such intensity?

No comments:

Post a Comment